Sprint distance: 400 yard swim, 13 mile bike, 2 mile run. Individuals Only.
USA Triathlon High School Championship Rules:
- High School Age Requirement: USAT defines eligibility for high school students as anyone currently enrolled in high school and up to a period of six (6) months post high school graduation.
- School IDs will be required to confirm age.
- USA Triathlon Age-Group National Championship (AGNC) qualifier. For more information and qualification standards follow this LINK
AR HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPIONSHIP AWARDS AND PRIZES:
Awards will be presented to the top three overall finishers for boys, girls and non-binary. High School students are eligible for regular event awards in their respective age groups.
- USA Triathlon License Information (sprint distance pricing):
- All competitors are REQUIRED to have a Current USA Triathlon license or purchase a USAT license in order to compete.
- Adults are one-day ($18) or annual ($60)
- Youth ages 17 and under are required to have an annual license. $10 a year, athletes aged 13-17 can enjoy unlimited racing. Or, for $25, youth athletes can ensure membership through their 18th birthday.
- Racing age is calculated as of Dec 31 of the current year. Please CONFIRM RACING AGE with Registration staff.
- Lake Weddington Recreation will open at 6 am on race day and there is no charge to enter. Prior to the race, the park entrance fee is $5 (subject to change).
- Pets MAY be allowed in park or in restricted areas of park - check US Forest Service and Lake Wedington rules prior to event for current regulations.
- Event will be held Rain or Shine
- Courses are marked, but it's the racer's responsibility to know the courses
- Water, Gatorage, organes and bananas will be available as each racer finishes
- Neutral Bike Service will be provided before the race and at Mandatory Bike Check in at Transition on Sunday.
- Wetsuits - See FAQ's
- All USA Triathlon are in effect. See below
USA Triathlon Rules - a full list is below, plus the 8 commonly violated.
Sprint Swim Course (400 yards)
The swim will take place in Lake Wedington. The course is a point to point in the shape of a rectangle. Buoys will be on the right. The average water temperature in early June can range from 75 to 85 degrees.
Transition: A single transition area. The transition from swim to bike will include a 200 meter slightly uphill run.
Sprint Bike Course (13 miles)
The bike course is a local favorite of both triathletes and cyclists. The course is on newly paved roads with a rolling terrain. The toughest hill on the course comes at the six mile mark, Weaver Hill starts and finishes gradually, but has a steep section in the middle. After this .5-mile climb, the course is fast with just a few rollers.
Sprint Run Course (2 miles)
The run is a rolling, partially shaded, two-loop course on paved roads completely inside the park which provides great spectator viewing. There is one tough hill on each loop that was given several names, but none are worthy or suitable for print. This year we’ll have the “crazies” at the top of the hill to cheer you on. You don’t want to miss the party!
- NO PARKING ON HWY 16 HIGHWAY. YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED!
- If you park inside the main park you will not be permitted to leave until the last competitor has finished.
- Parking is available approximately 1,000 feet east of the main park entrance if you need to leave before
- the race is officially over
- Racers & Spectators will not be charged to enter the park on race day only.
TIME LIMIT: Swim – 1 hour; Bike – 2 hours; Run – 1 hour
Door Prizes, Race Goodies
- Door prizes will include gift certificates and tons of bike gear.
- Post race meal will be provided to athletes only following the race. There are options in the park for friends and family to purchase food.
- Lots of sponsors’ products and services will be in the goody bag for each participant.